Saturday, August 25, 2018

Darrell "Shifty" Powers

Hello again,

For once this won't be a big update on any of my projects, after finishing my 15mm US Paratrooper platoon for Chain of Command I kept thinking: "well I'm theoretically finished, but what could I add?" Well I hadn't bothered painting up a sniper for the platoon, but at the same time I didn't want another prone figure with a scoped rifle covered in foliage (usually what my sniper units look like). So I thought, still keeping Band of Brothers as a reference, what if I depicted Darrel "Shifty" Powers? The man who in Easy Company was famous for having a great set of eyes and being a phenomenal shooter. 


I vividly remember that in Stephen E. Ambrose's Band of Brothers, there was a story about "Shifty"  during the Battle of Bulge which shocked me. He had been able to spot a tree a mile away which had not been there the day before. This "tree" was actually part of the camouflage used to hide a German AA battery, and was later bombarded and destroyed by battery fire thanks to him. So here is my attempt at depicting Shifty along with Sergeant Carwood Lipton, somewhere in Normandy, maybe in the fields leading up to the attack on Carentan? Here they are:








Hope you guys enjoyed this different post!

No comments:

Post a Comment