Thursday, December 28, 2017

15mm Germans

Well seeing as my 15mm German platoon for Chain of Command has been coming along quite nicely, and is nearly all finished, I thought it would be time to make a little post to share the progress.

I've been painting the platoon one section at a time. I realized after painting the British in one large batch that having to go through that process all over again for the German platoon would burn me out quite quickly. Finishing one section at a time, instead of having 30 half painted miniatures laying about, is in my opinion more beneficial as you actually get some fulfillment from finishing part of the project. At times when painting the entire British platoon I felt lost in a swarm of brown uniforms...

In any case here are, basing aside, two finished German sections:




Each section is made up of a 3 man MG34 team, a six man rifle team, and a SMG wielding corporal. Also seeing as each of these sections has a panzerfaust I threw one in each rifle team.





I'm very pleased at how these have turned out, unlike the British who were quite quickly batch painted, I put twice as much time per figure when working on these guys. I do accredit this to my more patient individual section approach, making me want to make sure every miniature was perfect before moving onto the next section.

Finally I also have a half finished section, 4 riflemen are already complete, I'm just missing 2 more riflemen, the LMG team, and the NCO.



Once this section is also done I only have the two man Panzerschreck team and the ‎Oberleutnant left before basing the lot!


5 comments:

  1. I experienced the same when I did my lot of Soviets and Germans, but doubly so because mine were in 28mm. (I have a full company for both sides plus many support options) I started doing massive batches but got bored. I then broke them up into smaller batches (usually section-sized) and that helped with tedium. But it is slower. My compromise that I eventually settled into is:

    1 Completely base coat and paint skin for the entire lot.
    2 Break them into groups of 10 or so to completely paint them.
    3 Apply a wash for the whole lot
    4 Break them up into groups again to re-apply highlights.
    5 Apply flocking to the whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having only painted in 15mm I can't even imagine how much of a struggle getting that many figures painted must be... But your process sounds pretty much exactly like mine, I think its the only way to prevent getting burnt out!

      I also find that taking some breaks to build terrain helps :)

      Delete
  2. Great ideas - i’m Working my way through 15mm brits and I’ve been doing it via painting all at once. I have 6/7 more steps. I think I will break them down by their sections to finish them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I think the sense of completion from finishing a whole section keeps you going, when I did my Brits all at once I felt overwhelmed towards the end. Also good luck with your Brits :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm doing early war Germans and Poles at the same time. That's 45 Germans and nearly 70 Poles in 25mm, mostly plastics. The Polish squads each have 19 men!

    It's taken a fair few months but I'm so nearly there.... Generally I do a batch of about 10-15 at a time and continue 'improving' them until they are at the same standard as the rest. A bit like leapfrogging, if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete