Wednesday, April 18, 2018

German Reconnaisance

Today I finally finished up some more Chain of Command support options for my little 15mm Germans, this time around I painted up some reconnaissance elements. This also gave me a chance to practice painting some more camouflage, as I don't have an airbrush (not only do I not have the space nor do I want to make the investment), it remains quite difficult to make a natural "feathered" camouflage pattern. So, this week I tried two different methods, on the armored car I used a little sponge to paint the camouflage pattern, while on the halftrack I opted to try and go for a more linear freehand pattern. 

Overall I'm somewhat pleased as from a tabletop distance they both look quite good. Nonetheless, I wish I had used lighter colors for the camouflage on the armored car, I used Vallejo Chocolate Brown and Reflective green, but after a wash it was just much too dark overall. While the linear pattern on the halftrack wasn't exactly what I was hoping to achieve, but I suppose for a first try it will do.


The reconnaissance team with the Sdf Kfz 250, a smaller variant of the 251 meant to hold only 4-5 men. Priced at 3 points I find that this is definitely a support option that I might use a fair bit, the ability to zip a small fire team around the battlefield could held unhinge a stalemate.



The armored car is Sdf Kfz 231 (8 rad), armed with a 20mm autocannon (AP 4, HE 6) and a co-ax MG it definitely also packs quite a punch for a vehicle only costing 5 points. Furthermore, its ability to move and shoot the turn it deploys, and moving double on a road, once again gives me a very mobile firing platform for my platoon. The only downside of the 231 is that while it does have 3 armor, unlike the smaller 222 it isn't "small" or "low profile," making it a much easier target for enemy anti tank weapons.

Where does this leave in me in terms of future projects? Currently for the Germans I'd still like to add a 75mm infantry gun, a Panzer III and a Sdf Kfz 222. Whilst for my British I should be able to finish up quite a nice selection of supoort options by the time the weekend rolls round. 

Thanks for reading! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment